I Want to Be a Child of Light


My comfort also hinges on the knowledge of how I am to show myself thankful for such deliverance. 

The reason is two-fold. 

  • First, I who have been redeemed by God am required to show my thankfulness to Him 
  • by walking according to His will. 
  • God is angry with those who continue to walk in sin. 
But by nature I don’t know God’s will. 

  • I don’t know how to show myself thankful to God for His grace. 
  • God must teach me what is good and acceptable in His sight. 
  • I can only have the comfort of knowing that God is pleased with me 
  • if I know I am walking according to His will.
Second, God promised that I who have been redeemed from sin through Christ 
  • will also produce fruits of thankfulness through the Spirit. 
  • These two go hand in hand. 
  • Christ’s work of redemption and the spiritual fruits of thankfulness are inseparable. 
If I see the Spirit producing fruits of thankfulness in my life, 
  • then I have the comfort of knowing with certainty that Christ has redeemed me. 
  • But I need to know what these fruits of thankfulness are 
  • so that I can recognize the Spirit’s work in me.
Matthew 5:16 
  • Let your light so shine before men, 
  • that they may see your good works 
  • and glorify your Father in heaven. 
Romans 6:13 
  • And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, 
  • but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, 
  • and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. 
Ephesians 5:8-10 
  • For you were once darkness, 
  • but now you are light in the Lord. 
  • Walk as children of light 
  • (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth), 
  • finding out what is acceptable to the Lord. 
1 Peter 2:9,10 
  • But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, 
  • His own special people, 
  • that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;
  • who once were not a people 
  • but are now the people of God, 
  • who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy.
Adapted Excerpt From Van Delden's Only By True Faith

Comments

Popular Posts