I Want and Need Forgiveness


There is no way in which I can come to know my misery from what I experience in myself, in fellow man or in daily life. 

Yet I have seen that it is very important that I possess a true knowledge of my sins and misery.

  • Otherwise I will not turn to God 
  • and seek the forgiveness of my sins 
  • and redemption from my misery. 
From where, then, shall I come to know my sins and misery?

God must teach me this. And He does. How? 

  • God teaches me my sins and misery through the law. 
  • When referring to the law, I refer to all the demands which God has set down in His Word. 
  • These are summarized in the Ten Commandments and in Matthew 22:37-40. 
In the law I come to see what God requires and what I was originally capable of rendering. 

  • I see myself, as I ought to be. 
  • And when I examine myself in the mirror of God’s law, 
  • then I find that I am not what I ought to be 
  • and I do not do what I ought to do. 
By measuring myself by the law of God, 

  • I find that I fall terribly short of the obedience which God requires of me.
Deuteronomy 6:5 
“You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.”

Adapted Excerpt From Van Delden's Only By True Faith

Comments

Popular Posts