I Need God's Regenerating Grace


In saying that God teaches me my sins and misery through the law, 

  • I must not think that the law alone is capable of giving me this knowledge. 
  • I can memorize the law through and through, 
  • and know it completely by heart, 
  • and still not come to know my sins and misery, 
  • that is, still not come to acknowledge my sins and misery to God. 
There is need for the regenerating grace of the Holy Spirit. 

  • The Holy Spirit convicts me of sin through the law. 
  • Christ said in John 16:8, 
  • “And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin.”
Think of the effect the Holy Spirit had upon the people of Jerusalem 
  • whose hearts were previously closed to the gospel. 
  • After the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, 
  • the crowds who listened to Peter’s sermon came to acknowledge their sin. 
Peter closed his sermon by saying, 
  • “Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly 
  • that God has made this Jesus, 
  • whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.” (Acts 2:36) 
And then we read of the response from the people. 
  • “Now when they heard this, 
  • they were cut to the heart, 
  • and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, 
  • “Men and brethren, what shall we do?” (Acts 2:37). 
The conviction of sin comes from the Holy Spirit who uses the law as His instrument.

Adapted Excerpt From Van Delden's Only By True Faith

Comments

Popular Posts