God's Providence Even When Things Are Not Good


God works all things for my good. 

In saying this, I can simply quote the apostle Paul, who wrote, 

  • “And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.” (Romans 8:28). 
  • That all things work together for our good is easy to believe 
  • when things go the way we suppose they ought to go. 
I can think that health and prosperity are good for me. 

  • Yet do I think the same of sickness and poverty? 
  • When I experience great difficulties, 
  • it becomes harder to believe in the providence of God.
  • I have to believe in the providence of God, as difficult as it is. 
I must and I may believe that God has a purpose for this. 

  • I must and may believe that this, 
  • like all things, 
  • will turn out for my good and for my salvation. 
It is also hard to trust in God’s providential care 
  • when I do not receive the things I think urgently need. 
When I speak about the providence of God, 
  • the question concerning sin and evil also enters the picture: 
  • “Do these also come by the hand of God?” 
  • I must speak carefully and reverently here. 
God created all things good, 
  • but all things are not good any more. 
  • Some of God’s good creation has lost their excellence at the fall of Satan and of man. 
  • This evil in and around me makes the life of God’s children difficult. 
  • Do I believe that this is also in God’s control? 
  • Or does Satan have free reign to do as he pleases?
Here, too, I profess the providence of God. 
  • There is no creature, neither Satan nor man, who can act in a manner outside of God’s control. 
  • God did not create sin and evil, 
  • but He certainly controls them both. 
God hardens the heart of whomever He wills, 
  • and He softens the heart of whomever He wills (cf. Rom 9). 
  • This becomes clear in the case of Pharaoh. 
  • Pharaoh was completely in God’s power. 
  • He could do only that which God allowed him to do. 
  • God did not cause him to sin, yet God certainly controlled that sin. 
God can, and often does, put a bridle on sin. 
  • God prevents both Satan and evil men from having free reign in their work of destruction. 

Comments

Popular Posts