God Requires Perfect Love, Nothing Less


God requires perfect love, complete love, love for both God and our neighbor. 

The summary of the law emphasizes this when it says, 

  • “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, 
  • and with all your soul 
  • and with all your mind.” 
Three times the word “all” is repeated. 

  • And the reference to heart, soul and mind certainly emphasizes the fact 
  • that God demands that I sacrifice my whole self 
  • as a living sacrifice of love and gratitude to God.
Through God’s law I come to know what a wretched person I am. 
  • I have wandered away from God through my disobedience. 
  • I have lost all the wonderful gifts which God had given me at creation, 
  • gifts such as purity, integrity and uprightness. 
  • Now I am left with none of these gifts and I am unable to do any good. 
This is what I confess:
  • Can I keep all this perfectly? 
  • No, I am inclined by nature to hate God and my neighbor. 
There are some who claim that the law is no longer in force today. 
  • They say that in the Old Testament there was the law, 
  • but today there is grace, i.e., the command to love. 
In the Old Testament they had to strictly obey these laws, 
  • but in the New Testament we only have to love God and our neighbor. 
  • However, Christ said that the law has not passed away (cf. Matthew 5:17) 
  • and as I read in John 14:15, love for God will produce obedience to His commandments.

Comments

Popular Posts