Pruning: His Providential Dealings


God will often increase the holiness of true Christians by His providential dealings with them.
 

  • "Every branch that bears fruit, He prunes, 
  • that it may bear more fruit."

The meaning of this language is clear and plain.  

  • Just as the gardener prunes and cuts back the branches of a fruitful vine, in order to make them more fruitful, 
  • so does God purify and sanctify me by the circumstances of life in which He places me.

Trial, to speak plainly, is the instrument 

  • by which my Father in heaven makes me more holy.  
  • By trial He calls out my passive graces, 
  • and proves whether I can suffer His will as well as do it.  

By trial 

  • He weans me from the world, 
  • draws me to Christ, 
  • drives me to the Bible and prayer, 
  • shows me my own heart, 
  • and makes me humble.  
This is the process by which He "prunes" me, and makes me more fruitful.  

  • The lives of the saints in every age, are the best and truest comment on the text.  
  • Never, hardly, do I find an eminent saint, either in the Old Testament or the New, 
  • who was not purified by suffering, and, like His Master, a "man of sorrows."


Let me learn to be patient in the days of darkness, 

  • if I know anything of vital union with Christ.  
  • Let me remember the doctrine of "pruning" 
  • and not murmur and complain because of trials.  
My trials are not meant to do me harm, but good.  

  • God chastens me "for my profit, that I may be a partaker of His holiness." (Hebrews 12:10)  
  • Fruit is the thing that my Master desires to see in me, 
  • and He will not spare the pruning knife if He sees I need it.  
In the last day I shall see that all was well done.

Adapted Excerpt From The Gospel of John by J. C. Ryle

Comments

Popular Posts