God's Election: Full of Sweet, Pleasant, and Unspeakable Comfort


How my Lord speaks of the doctrine of election

  • He says, You have not chosen Me, but I have chosen you, that you should go and bring forth fruit.  
The choosing here mentioned is evidently twofold.  

  • It includes not only the election to the Apostolic office, which was peculiar to the eleven,
  • but the election to eternal life, which is the privilege of all believers.  
  • To this last choosing, as it specifically concerns myself, I may profitably direct my attention.

Election to eternal life, 

  • is a truth of Scripture which I must receive humbly, and believe implicitly.  
  • Why the Lord Jesus calls some and not others, quickens whom He will, and leaves others alone in their sins, 
  • these are deep things which I cannot explain.  
  • Let it suffice me to know that it is a fact.  

God must begin the work of grace in my heart, or else I will never be saved.  

  • Christ must first choose me and call me by His Spirit, 
  • or else I shall never choose Christ.  
  • Beyond doubt, if not saved, I shall have none to blame but myself.  
  • But if saved, I shall certainly trace up the beginning of my salvation, to the choosing grace of Christ.  
  • My song to all eternity will be that which fell from the lips of Jonah - Salvation is of the Lord. (Jonah 2:9)


Election is always to sanctification.  

  • Those whom Christ chooses out of mankind, 
  • He chooses not only that they may be saved, 
  • but that they may bear fruit, and fruit that can be seen.  
All other election beside this is a mere vain delusion, and a miserable invention of man.  

  • It was the faith and hope and love of the Thessalonians, 
  • which made Paul say, I know your election of God. (1 Thessalonians 1:4)  
  • Where there is no visible fruit of sanctification, I may be sure there is no election.

Armed with such principles as these, 

  • I have no cause to be afraid of the doctrine of election.  
  • Like any other truth of the Gospel, it is liable to be abused and perverted.  
But to a pious mind, it is a doctrine "full of sweet, pleasant, and unspeakable comfort."

Adapted Excerpt From The Gospel of John by J.C. Ryle

Comments

Popular Posts