Let Me Be a Real and True Christian


What deep corruption may sometimes be found in the heart of a great professor of religion. 

  • It is written that "the devil put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray Christ.
This Judas, I must always remember, was one of the twelve Apostles. 

  • He had been chosen by Christ Himself, at the same time with Peter, James, John, and their companions. 
  • For three years he had walked in Christ's society, had seen His miracles, had heard His preaching, had experienced many proofs of His loving-kindness. 
He had even preached himself and wrought miracles in Christ's name; 

  • and when our Lord sent out His disciples two and two, Judas Iscariot no doubt must have been one of some couple that was sent. 
  • Yet here I see this very man possessed by the devil, and rushing headlong to destruction.


On all the coasts of England there is not such a beacon to warn sailors of danger as Judas Iscariot is to warn me and all Christians. 
  • He shows me what length a man may go in religious profession, and yet turn out a rotten hypocrite at last, and prove never to have been converted. 
  • He shows me the uselessness of the highest privileges, unless we have a heart to value them and turn them to good account. 
  • Privileges alone without grace save nobody, and will only make hell deeper. 
He shows me the uselessness of mere head-knowledge. 
  • To know things with my brain, and be able to talk and preach and speak to others, 
  • is no proof that my own feet are in the way of peace. 
  • These are terrible lessons--but they are true

Let me never be surprised if I see hypocrisy and false profession among Christians in modern days.
  • There is nothing new in it, nothing peculiar, nothing that did not happen even among Christ's own immediate followers, and under Christ's own eyes.
  • Counterfeit money is a strong proof that there is good coin somewhere.
  • Hypocrisy is a strong indirect evidence that there is such a thing as true religion.
Above all, let me pray daily that my own Christianity may at any rate be genuine, sincere, real and true. 
  • My faith may be feeble, my hope dim, my knowledge small, my failures frequent, my faults many. 
  • But at all events let me be real and true. 
  • Let me be able to say with poor, weak, erring Peter, "You, Lord, who know all things, know that I love You." (John 21:17.)

Adapted Excerpt From
The Gospel of John
J. C. Ryle

Comments

Popular Posts