If I Would Do Good to the World


The plain practical lesson which lies upon its surface. 

  • That lesson is read out to us by our Lord. 
  • He says, "I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you.

HUMILITY is evidently one part of the lesson. 

  • If the only-begotten Son of God, the King of kings, did not think it beneath Him to do the humblest work of a servant, 
  • there is nothing which His disciples should think themselves too great or too good to do. 
  • No sin is so offensive to God, and so injurious to the soul as pride. 
No grace is so commended, both by precept and example, as humility. 
  • "Be clothed with humility." 
  • "He who humbles himself shall be exalted." 

"Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus; who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God--
  • but made Himself of no reputation, and took upon Him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men--
  • and being found in fashion as a man, He humbled Himself." (1 Pet. 5:5; Luke 18:14; Phil. 2:5-8.) 
Well would it be for the Church if this very simple truth was more remembered, and real humility was not so sadly rare. 
  • Perhaps there is no sight so displeasing in God's eyes as a self-conceited, self-satisfied, self-contented, stuck-up professor of religion. 
  • Alas, it is a sight only too common! 
  • Yet the words which John here records have never been repealed. 
  • They will be a swift witness against many at the last day, except they repent

LOVE is manifestly the other part of the great practical lesson. 
  • Our Lord would have me love others so much that I should delight to do anything which can promote their happiness. 
  • I ought to rejoice in doing kindnesses, even in little things. 
  • I ought to count it a pleasure to lessen sorrow and multiply joy, even when it costs me some self-sacrifice and self-denial. 
I ought to love every child of Adam so well, that if in the least trifle I can do anything to make him more happy and comfortable, I should be glad to do it. 
  • This was the mind of the Master, and this the ruling principle of His conduct upon earth. 
  • There are but few who walk in His steps, it may be feared; but these few are men and women after His own heart.

The lesson before me may seem a very simple one; but its importance can never be overrated. 
  • Humility and love are precisely the graces which the men of the world can understand, if they do not comprehend doctrines. 
  • They are graces about which there is no mystery, and they are within reach of all Christians. 
  • The poorest and most ignorant Christian can every day find occasion for practicing love and humility. 
Then if I would do good to the world, and make my calling and election sure, 
  • let me not forget my Lord's example in this passage. 
  • Like Him, let me be humble and loving towards all.
Adapted Excerpt From
The Gospel of John
J. C. Ryle

Comments

Popular Posts