Established and Steady in Time of Need


What a strange mixture of grace and weakness is to be found even in the hearts of true believers.

It is good to remember what true Christians really are.  Many and great are the mistakes into which I can fall, by forming a false estimate of the Christian's character.  Many are the bitter things which I can write against myself, by expecting to find in my heart what cannot be found on this side of heaven.

Let me settle it in my mind that saints on earth are not perfect angels, but only converted sinners.  We are sinners renewed, changed, sanctified, no doubt; but yet we are sinners, and will be until we die.

My faith is often entangled with much unbelief, and my grace compassed round with much infirmity.  As a child of God, I am happy when I understand these things, and have learned to judge rightly both of myself and others.  Rarely indeed shall I find that I do not need that prayer, "Lord, I believe - help my unbelief."


What need many believers have of clear views of Christ's person, office, and power.

He proclaims the glorious truth, "I am the resurrection and the life;"--"I, even I, your Master, am He that has the keys of life and death in His hands...He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die." 

Many Christians complain of lack of sensible comfort in their faith.  I often do not feel the inward peace which I desire.  Vague and indefinite views of Christ are too often the cause of all my perplexities. 

A little general knowledge of Christ as the only Savior is often all that I possess. But of the fullness that dwells in Him, of His resurrection, His priesthood, His intercession, His unfailing compassion, I have tasted little or nothing at all.

I must try to see more clearly the great object on which my faith rests.  I must grasp more firmly His love and power towards me, and the riches He has laid up for me even now in this world.  

If I would only strive, as Paul says, to "comprehend what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height, and to know the love of Christ, which passes knowledge," I would be amazed at the discoveries I would make. The root of a happy faith is clear, distinct, well-defined knowledge of Jesus Christ. More knowledge can save me many sighs and tears. 

Knowledge alone no doubt, if unsanctified, only "puffs up." (1 Cor. 8:1.) Yet without clear knowledge of Christ in all His offices, I cannot expect to be established in the faith, and steady in time of need.

Adapted Excerpt From

Expository Thoughts on the Gospels: Volume 1-4

J. C. Ryle



Comments

Popular Posts