Garrisoned By God

There are supernatural powers and agencies of which I am unconscious 

  • which, unless I am garrisoned by God, 
  • can play with me like toys whenever they choose. 
The New Testament continually impresses this on me. 

  • For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, 
  • but against principalities, against powers, 
  • against the rulers of the darkness of this age, 
  • against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places (Ephesians 6:12). 
  • All that is outside the realm of my consciousness. 
If I only look for results in the earthly powers and agencies when I pray,
 

  • I am ill-taught. 
  • A praying saint performs far more havoc 
  • among the unseen forces of darkness 
  • than I have the slightest notion of. 
  • The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much ( James 5:16). 
I have not the remotest conception of what is done by my prayers, 

  • nor have I the right to try and examine and understand it; 
  • all I know is that Jesus Christ laid all stress on prayer. 
  • And greater works than these he will do, 
  • because I go to My Father. 
  • And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do ( John 14:12–13).


It is only when these speculations and terrors are awakened in me 
  • that I begin to see what the atonement of Jesus Christ means. 
  • It means safeguarding in the unseen, 
  • safeguarding from dangers I know nothing about. 
  • Kept by the power of God (1 Peter 1:5)! 
The conscious ring of my life is a mere phase, 
  • Jesus Christ did not die and rise again to save that only; 
  • the whole human personality is included. 
I have to beware of estimating Jesus Christ’s salvation by my experience of it. 
  • My experience is a mere indication in the conscious life 
  • of an almighty salvation that goes far beyond anything 
  • I ever can experience.
Second Thessalonians 2:7–12 (below) represents the borderland realm of things 
  • which it is difficult to trace. 
  • The theme is not an isolated one, it runs all through the Bible 
  • and indicates a borderland I cannot step over.

...the Anarchist is being held back until just the right time. 
  • That doesn’t mean that the spirit of anarchy is not now at work. 
  • It is, secretly and underground. 
  • But the time will come when the Anarchist will no longer be held back, 
  • but will be let loose. 
  • But don’t worry. 
  • The Master Jesus will be right on his heels and blow him away. 
  • The Master appears and—puff!—the Anarchist is out of there.

The Anarchist’s coming is all Satan’s work. 
  • All his power and signs and miracles are fake, evil sleight of hand 
  • that plays to the gallery of those who hate the truth that could save them. 
  • And since they’re so obsessed with evil, God rubs their noses in it—
  • gives them what they want.
  • Since they refuse to trust truth, 
  • they're banished to their chosen world of lies and illusions.
- The Message Eugene H. Peterson



Adapted Excerpt From
Biblical Psychology
Oswald Chambers

Comments

Popular Posts