Solomon's Porch: The Joy of Life


We gain our point of distress or of joy 

  • by the way we use or misuse our twenty-four hours.


If we make our life a muddle, 
  • it is to a large extent because 
  • we have not discerned the great underlying relationship to God.
There is always a point where I have the power to choose. 
  • I have no power to choose whether or not I will take the consequences of my choice; 
  • no power to say whether or not I will be born; 
  • no power to choose my “cage”; 
  • but within the cage I have power 
  • to choose which perch I will sit on.

The most painful and most crushing thing to a man or woman is unrequited love. 
  • In summing up the attitude of men to Himself, 
  • God says that that is the way men treat Him, 
  • they “un-requite” His love. 
  • To most of us it is a matter of moonshine
  •  whether Jesus Christ lived or died or did anything at all; 
  • God has to “recommend” His love to us (see Romans 5:8). 
It is only when we come to our wits’ ends, 
  • or reap a distress, 
  • or feel the first twinge of damnation 
  • and are knocked out of our complacent mental agility over things, 
  • that we recognize the love of God.
Not one of these “times” are God’s times, they are our times. 
  • For example, to call war either diabolical or Divine is nonsense; 
  • war is human. 
  • War is a conflict of wills, 
  • not something that can be solved by law or philosophy. 
If you take what I want, you may talk till all’s blue,
  • either I will hit you or you’ll hit me. 
  • In the time between birth and death this conflict of wills will go on 
  • until men by their relationship to God 
  • receive the disposition of the Son of God, which is holiness.

Unless a man relates his disposition to God in between birth and death, 
  • he will reap a heritage of distress for himself 
  • and for those who come after him. 
  • The man who is banked on a real relationship to a personal God 
  • will reap not the distress that works death, but the joy of life.

Adapted Excerpt From
Shade of His Hand
Oswald Chambers

Comments

Popular Posts