Linus' Blanket: Loosening My Grip and Trusting Him


Linus and his security blanket is a modern parable of Jesus’ teaching in Matthew 6:19–21: “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth… but store up for yourselves treasures in heaven… For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” The blanket stands for anything I cling to for security instead of trusting God, and that whatever I treat as my ultimate “treasure” will capture my heart’s loyalty and direction.

The blanket as a symbol of misplaced treasure

Linus’s blanket is not just a childish comfort object but is an “idol” in the biblical sense: a created thing I rely on to give me peace, identity, or control that properly belongs to God alone. Jesus warns that earthly treasures—money, status, relationships, even religious routines—can become functional gods that shape where my heart actually lives.

In this light, “Where your blanket is, there will your heart be also” restates Jesus’ line with a Peanuts image: wherever I have placed my deepest sense of security, that is where my inner life is anchored.

Key spiritual truths 

  • My security reveals my true treasure.
    What I cannot imagine living without—my “blanket”—shows what I really trust. Linus’s desperate grip on the blanket exposes a heart invested in something fragile and temporary rather than in God.

  • Idolatry often looks like normal comfort.
    The blanket isn’t obviously evil; it’s a familiar, even innocent, source of relief. Idols are rarely dramatic sins; they are good things (comfort, achievement, approval) that we elevate to ultimate importance.

  • Earthly treasures cannot carry spiritual weight.
    Like Jesus’ “moth and rust” image, blankets—and all earthly substitutes—cannot ultimately protect me from fear, failure, or death. They may soothe anxiety temporarily but cannot secure the soul.

  • The heart follows investment, not intention.
    I may say my heart is “on heaven,” but if my time, energy, worry, and hope are poured into earthly blankets, my heart is effectively there. Linus illustrates how my practical investments betray my real priorities.

  • Freedom comes from releasing the blanket, not tightening the grip.
    Drawing on the famous A Charlie Brown Christmas scene where Linus drops his blanket while proclaiming the gospel, spiritual liberation in letting go of false securities and trusting Christ’s promise instead.

How this applies as a spiritual discipline

  • What is my “blanket” right now (a person, plan, possession, image, or habit)?

  • Where does my anxiety spike when that thing is threatened?

  • If I truly believed God’s promises, what could I afford to loosen my grip on?

The spiritual truth is not that comfort is sinful, but that nothing created can bear the weight of my ultimate trust without distorting my heart.

My Notes from Robert L. Short's chapter "Where Your Blanket Is, There Will Your Heart Be Also” in his book The Parables of Peanuts?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wrestling With God

By God's Word at Last My Sin I Learned

His Eye is on This Sparrow