Recovering Strong Convictions of Faith


Genuine Christian faith must be shaped by God’s revealed truth rather than by cultural preference, personal desire, or the pursuit of popularity. I am called to recover the convictions that originally gave evangelical Protestantism its strength.

Christian faith begins with God’s truth

Historic evangelicalism was built around two central convictions:

  • The inspiration and authority of Scripture.

  • The centrality of Christ’s substitutionary work on the cross.

The spiritual lesson is that Christianity does not begin with my feelings, needs, or opinions. It begins with God speaking through Scripture and accomplishing salvation through Christ. Faith is therefore received from God rather than invented by the individual.

Application: I should ask not merely, “What works for me?” but, “What has God revealed to be true?”

Truth must govern the whole Christian life

I need to distinguish between merely carrying the label “Protestant” and actually living according to historic Protestant convictions. Identifying with a Christian tradition is easy; faithfully submitting my beliefs and conduct to Scripture requires courage.

This teaches that spiritual commitment is more than affiliation. I may attend church, use Christian language, or identify as evangelical while still allowing culture to determine what I believe.

Application: Genuine discipleship involves obedience, repentance, and perseverance—not simply religious identity.

God is not created by my inner experience

A major concern is the modern tendency to reduce God to an “inside God”—a God defined by private feelings, self-esteem, or personal fulfillment—instead of worshiping the transcendent Creator who stands outside and above me.

The spiritual truth is that God is not a projection of the self. He does not exist merely to affirm my choices or make me feel fulfilled. He confronts, judges, saves, and transforms me.

Application: I should evaluate my spirituality by whether it leads me toward worship and surrender to God, not merely toward emotional comfort.

The church must resist consumer Christianity

The evangelical world is divided among classical evangelicals, marketers, and emergents. Churches can become overly concerned with relevance, success, image, or meeting consumer expectations.

This does not mean that churches should be indifferent to people or communicate poorly. Rather, it means that the church must not change the substance of the gospel simply to gain approval or popularity.

Application: The church’s success should be measured by faithfulness to Christ, biblical truth, and spiritual maturity—not primarily by size, entertainment value, or public influence.

Doctrine is spiritually important

The decline of biblical doctrine weakens the church. Doctrine is not merely abstract information; it tells me who God is, what sin is, what Christ has done, and how I should live.

Without doctrine, spirituality becomes unstable and easily shaped by cultural trends. Clear teaching protects Christians from confusing personal preference with divine truth.

Application: Studying theology and Scripture is part of spiritual growth. Christians need both heartfelt devotion and accurate understanding.

Christ’s cross must remain central

I need to recall the importance of Christ’s penal substitution: Christ bore the judgment deserved by sinners so that those who trust in him may be forgiven and reconciled to God.

The spiritual lesson is that Christianity is not primarily a program for self-improvement. Its foundation is God’s saving action through Christ’s death and resurrection.

Application: My hope before God rests not on achievement, religious performance, or self-esteem, but on Christ’s finished work.

My Notes on Chapter 1, “The Beginnings,” in David Wells’s The Courage to Be Protestant

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wrestling With God

By God's Word at Last My Sin I Learned

His Eye is on This Sparrow