In the Whirl of Things


How am I to live wisely and faithfully in the “whirl” of life’s changing seasons?

Life’s seasons are appointed by God; our task is trust, not control

  • Ecclesiastes 3:1 (“To every thing there is a season…”) 
  • Times and seasons are under God’s sovereign ordering. 
  • The spiritual lesson is not to master the timetable of life but to learn to trust the One who appoints each season—
  • birth and death, planting and uprooting, weeping and laughing, war and peace. 
  • This calls me away from anxiety-driven control toward faith-filled surrender.

The “whirl” tests whether my faith is in God Himself or only in His blessings

  • True spirituality is revealed not in ideal conditions but “in the soup of actual circumstances.” 
  • The whirl of events exposes whether I love God for who He is or merely for what He gives. 
  • Spiritual maturity is clinging to God even when circumstances contradict my expectations of comfort, success, or clarity.

Redemption transforms how I experience time and change

  • Apart from redemption, the endless cycle of “a time to…” can feel meaningless or oppressive; 
  • but in Christ, these same cycles become the arena in which a redeemed person glorifies God. 
  • The spiritual truth is that redemption does not remove me from life’s whirl; 
  • it reorients me within it so that work, play, study, relationships, and suffering can all be offered to God.

Obedience in the present moment is the key to spiritual understanding

  • The “golden rule for understanding spiritually is not intellect, but obedience.” 
  • In the whirl, spiritual darkness often signals an area of unresolved disobedience rather than mere intellectual confusion. 
  • The practical lesson: when things feel dark or chaotic, ask, “What is God calling me to obey right now?” 
  • rather than demanding a full explanation first.

God’s permissive will meets me in a fallen world; His ultimate order is holiness, not comfort

  • “God’s order is—no sin, no sickness, no devil, no war: His Permissive will is things as they are.” 
  •  “In the Whirl” therefore teaches that believers live between God’s perfect order and His permissive allowance of a broken world. 
  • The spiritual task is not to explain every tragedy but to remain rightly related to God within it, 
  • allowing Him to make me holy through the very pressures of the whirl.

The purpose of life in the whirl is holiness, not self-realization

  • “The destined end of man is not happiness, nor health, but holiness.” 
  • In the whirl, God is less concerned with rounding me into a comfortable, self-fulfilled person than with squeezing out the “sweetness” of my life for His purposes. 
  • Spiritual success is measured not by personal achievement but by what God pours through me as I yield to Him in each season.

Faith must be “banked” in God to avoid breaking myself and others

  • “Unless I bank my faith in God, I will not only be wrongly related in practical life and have my heart broken, but I will break other things I touch.” 
  • The spiritual truth: in turbulent times, unanchored faith leads to destructive choices; faith firmly placed in God stabilizes both my inner life and my impact on others.

How these truths apply practically

  • When circumstances shift suddenly (loss, delay, conflict), treat the change as a God-appointed “season” and ask, “How can I glorify God in this particular time?” rather than “Why is this happening?”

  • Use moments of confusion or darkness as prompts to examine obedience: “Is there something I know but have not yet done?”

  • Refuse to measure my spiritual life by visible success or emotional highs; instead, ask, “What is God pouring through me in this season?”

  • Intentionally “bank” my faith in God’s character and redemption, especially when life feels chaotic, so that my reactions build rather than break.

My Notes from Oswald Chambers’s chapter “In the Whirl” (on Ecclesiastes 3:1–15) in Shade of His Hand

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wrestling With God

By God's Word at Last My Sin I Learned

His Eye is on This Sparrow