Why I Am Not to Pray to Saints and more...
- God spoke all these words, saying: I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
- 1. You shall have no other gods before Me.
Q. What does the LORD require
in the first commandment?
That for the sake of my very salvation
I avoid and flee
all idolatry,
1 Corinthians 6:9-10
- Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites,
- nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.
- But with most of them God was not well pleased, for their bodies were scattered in the wilderness.
- Now these things became our examples, to the intent that we should not lust after evil things as they also lusted.
- And do not become idolaters as were some of them. As it is written, “The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.” …
- Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall.
- No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it. …
- Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry.
- Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.
witchcraft, superstition,
Leviticus 19:31
- Give no regard to mediums and familiar spirits; do not seek after them, to be defiled by them: I am the LORD your God.
Deuteronomy 18:9-12
- When you come into the land which the LORD your God is giving you, you shall not learn to follow the abominations of those nations.
- There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer,
- or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead.
- For all who do these things are an abomination to the LORD, and because of these abominations the LORD your God drives them out from before you.
and prayer to saints or to other creatures.
Matthew 4:10
- Then Jesus said to him, “Away with you, Satan! For it is written, ‘You shall worship the LORD your God, and Him only you shall serve.’”
- And I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, “See that you do not do that! I am your fellow servant, and of your brethren who have the testimony of Jesus. Worship God! For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.”
- Now I, John, saw and heard these things. And when I heard and saw, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel who showed me these things.
- Then he said to me, “See that you do not do that. For I am your fellow servant, and of your brethren the prophets, and of those who keep the words of this book. Worship God.”
The Heidelberg Catechism Lord's Day 34

Comments
Post a Comment