Puritan Prayer: The Trinity
GOD OF MY SALVATION,
Heavenly Father, blessed Son, eternal Spirit,
- I adore you as one Being, one Essence,
- one God in three distinct Persons,
- for bringing sinners to your knowledge and to your kingdom.
O Father, you have loved me and sent Jesus to redeem me;
O Jesus, you have loved me and assumed my nature,
- shed your own blood to wash away my sins,
- wrought righteousness to cover my unworthiness;
O Holy Spirit, you have loved me and entered
- my heart, implanted there eternal life,
- revealed to me the glories of Jesus.
Three Persons and one God, I bless and praise you,
- for love so unmerited, so unspeakable,
- so wondrous, so mighty to save the lost
- and raise them to glory.
O Father, I thank you that in fullness of grace
- you have given me to Jesus, to be his sheep,
- jewel, portion;
O Jesus, I thank you that in fullness of grace
- you have accepted espoused, bound me;
- exhibited Jesus as my salvation,
- implanted faith within me,
- subdued my stubborn heart,
- made me one with him for ever.
O Father, you are enthroned to hear my prayers,
O Jesus, your hand is outstretched to take my petitions,
O Holy Spirit, you are willing to help my
- infirmities, to show me my need,
- to supply words, to pray within me,
- to strengthen me that I faint not in supplication.
O Triune God, who commands the universe,
- you have commanded me to ask for those
- things that concern your kingdom and my soul.
Let me live and pray as one baptized into the threefold Name.
Adapted Excerpt from The Valley of Vision

Comments
Post a Comment