Puritan Prayer: God the All
There is no comfort in anything apart
- from enjoying you
- and being engaged in your service;
You are All in all, and all my enjoyments are what
- to me you make them, and no more.
I am well pleased with your will, whatever it is,
- or should be in all respects,
And if you bid me decide for myself in any affair,
- I would choose to refer all to you,
- for you are infinitely wise and cannot do amiss,
- as I am in danger of doing.
I rejoice to think that all things are at your disposal,
- and it delights me to leave them there.
Then prayer turns wholly into praise,
- and all I can do is to adore and bless you.
What shall I give you for all your benefits?
- I am in a strait between two, knowing not
- what to do;
I long to make some return, but have nothing to offer;
- and can only rejoice that you do all,
- that none in heaven or on earth shares your honor.
I can of myself do nothing to glorify your blessed name,
- but I can through grace cheerfully surrender soul
- and body to you,
I know that you are the author and finisher of faith,
- that the whole work of redemption is yours alone,
- that every good work or thought found in me
- is the effect of your power and grace,
- that your sole motive in working in me to will
- and to do is for your good pleasure,
O God, it is amazing that men can talk so much
- about man's creaturely power and goodness,
- when if you did not hold us back every
- moment, we should be devils incarnate.
This, by bitter experience, you have taught me
- concerning myself.
Adapted Excerpt from Valley of Vision

Comments
Post a Comment