God's Gracious Provision for Me, for Our President, and for the World


When speaking at the National Prayer Breakfast, 

  • President Trump clarified his doubts about going to heaven by stating, 
  • I really think I probably should make it. 
  • I mean, I'm not a perfect candidate, but I did --- a lot of good for perfect people.   
My prayer is that God would bring President Trump to the Scriptures.

  • For there he would learn that there are no perfect people. 
  • And, no amount of good on his part or on our part would make any of us a candidate for heaven. 
The Good News of the Gospel 
  • is God's gracious answer to the ruin we have all made of our lives and our world.
  • Jesus Christ alone is the true, righteous, and divine Mediator who saves completely.

My salvation depends entirely on God's gracious provision of a Mediator who is both truly human and truly divine.  

  • For Christ alone can satisfy God's justice, 
  • bear wrath, 
  • and restore righteousness and life for me, a sinner.
God's justice is serious. 
  • My sin is not ignored or minimized.
  • It must be dealt with in a way that honors God's holiness and righteousness.
I need a true human Savior.
  • Since my human nature sinned, 
  • my Redeemer must share my humanity in order to stand in my place.
I need a sinless Savior.
  • A sinner cannot atone for other sinners,
  • so my Mediator must be righteous and unstained by sin.
I need a divine Savior.
  • Only true God can bear the burden of divine wrath
  • and bring me life that death cannot destroy.
Christ is enough.
  • The Bible points me to Jesus Christ as my wisdom, righteousness, holiness, and redemption.
  • So my salvation rests in Him alone.
The gospel is not an afterthought but God's long-planned revelation.
  • It was first promised in Paradise,
  • then proclaimed through the patriarchs and prophets,
  • foreshadowed in the law,
  • and finally fulfilled in Christ.
For spiritual life, 
  • this means that as a Christian 
  • I must learn humility, 
  • because I cannot save myself.
This Gospel also produces deep assurance, because the one who saves me is exactly the kind of Mediator I need.
  • He is fully able to represent me.
  • He is fully able to satisfy justice.
  • He is fully able to give me life.
It also trains my heart 
  • to look to Scripture as God's unfolding gospel story, 
  • not merely as moral instruction. 
  • The Gospel invites me to read all of redemptive history with Christ at the center. 
For the Bible Tells Me So...

1 Corinthians 15:21 
  • For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man. 
Isaiah 9:6 
  • For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. 
John 3:16 
  • For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not (perish but have eternal life. 
1 Timothy 2:5 
  • For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus 
Galatians 4:4,5 
  • But when the time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under law, 
  • to redeem those under law, that we might receive the full rights of sons.
Come Home...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wrestling With God

By God's Word at Last My Sin I Learned

His Eye is on This Sparrow