Dealing With a Mystery


In the previous Lord’s Days I have seen that I cannot escape God’s covenant wrath. 

  • Every sin must be paid for. 
  • Neither will I be received in favor again unless I fulfill God’s covenant demand. 
  • I need a Mediator. 
  • A mediator is someone who intervenes, who “goes between” two parties with the goal of bringing the two parties together again.
I do not just need any mediator. 
  • He must be special. 
  • He must be man, but not just any man. 
  • He must be a true and righteous man. 
  • Furthermore, he must be more than man; he must be true God. 
It would be good to understand that I am dealing with a mystery here.
  • I cannot understand how a person can be true man and true God at the same time. 
  • I believe it because the Bible teaches this to me,
  • and I accept it in child-like faith even though I do not understand it.
My Mediator must be a true man, that is, real man, 
  • in order to bear the curse of the covenant. 
  • My Mediator could not be an animal or an angel, for my just God will not punish a different creature for the sins which man has committed. 
  • Man sinned, not an animal or an angel. 
  • Thus God will only punish man, not an animal or angel.
My Mediator must be a true man, that is, real man, in order to fulfill the demand of the covenant. 
  • God established His covenant with man whom He created in His own image. 
  • Man knew God as no other creature knew Him. 
  • Man loved God as no other creature could love Him. 
  • No other creature could render the perfect obedience out of love that God demands in the covenant. 
Consider this example: a couple have lost their only child. 
  • Friends encourage the couple to purchase a little dog to help fill the void. 
  • Yet as affectionate as a dog may be, it can hardly serve as a substitute for a child who is flesh of their flesh, and bone of their bone. 
  • A dog cannot render the same love that a child can. 
  • In like manner, no creature could possibly serve as a substitute for man whom God created in His own image.
My Mediator must be a Righteous man.
  • Righteous means to be free from the guilt and pollution of sin in order to bear the curse of the covenant. 
  • A sinner owes a great debt to God. 
  • And someone who is deeply in debt himself, cannot pay for the debt of someone else.
  • For this reason my Mediator had to be free from debt (sin). 
  • Only then could He possibly pay for the debt (sins) of others. 
  • For this reason my Mediator had to be a righteous man.
Furthermore, my Mediator must be a righteous man, 
  • free from the pollution of sin, 
  • so that He might be able to fulfill the demand of the covenant. 
  • He must not share in the horrible corruption that has come upon fallen man. 
  • His understanding must not be impaired, nor his heart sinfully inclined, or his will enslaved to evil. 
  • He must be pure in heart, clear in understanding and free in will,
  • so that He can render that perfect obedience which God requires in the covenant.
To Be Continued...
Adapted Excerpt from Only by True Faith by Van Delden

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

By God's Word at Last My Sin I Learned

Wrestling With God

His Eye is on This Sparrow